May is National Bike MonthPosted On: May 02, 12
Gear up for the inaugural Bike to School Day on May 9th. The National Center for Safe Routes to School, in partnership with the League of American Bicyclists, is pleased to be organizing the first-ever National Bike to School Day. Did you know biking enhances our health and well being, and eases traffic congestion near schools? In a fun way, you can improve our air quality and our overall quality of life!
Some Environmental Benefits of Bicycling:
- Reduces Air Pollution
- Reduces Noise Pollution
- Reduces Energy Consumption
- Reduces Demand for Parking Lots and Road Repair
- Reduces Water Pollution - Bikes don’t drip brake fluid, anti-freeze and transmission fluid!
Safety Tips for Bicyclists:
- ALWAYS wear a helmet!
- Ride with traffic and follow the rules of the road
- Don’t ride on the sidewalk
- Ride on the trail, paved shoulder, bike lanes or bike route
- Be predictable, visible and courteous
- Watch for turning traffic
- Watch for things on the road or trail that might make you fall or swerve
Register your event, join schools nationwide and become a Bike to School Day Pioneer!