Simplify the Holidays RecapPosted On: Jan 04, 10
The Simplify the Holidays has two main goals:
1. To offer tips on how to make the holidays more meaningful and relation-focused instead of consumer focused.
2. To offer ways to cut down on the enormous amount of garbage and wast that we create every holiday season.
We exceeded our goal of 1,000 people committing to Simplify the Holidays by well over 300 and the numbers are still growing! Commitments were made from people throughout Hawaii and across the US, from Florida to Maine and Montana to Washington states.
Those commitments translate to the following:
- 12.5 tons of waste avoided
- 7.8 tons of co2 avoided
- 8.4 tons of paper saved, the equivalent of 203 trees
- 2.6 tons of green waste recycled
- 1.3 tons of containers recycled
- 15,810 plastic bags avoided
- 7,850 donations made
- 798 hours of volunteer service
- 564 families receiving needed gifts
Please check the links below for Simplify the Holidays tips and events that took place this holiday season:
Hawai’i News Now: How to throw a Zero Waste Holiday Party
Hawai’i News Now: Holiday Gift Wrapping Using Reused Materials
Hawai’i News Now: Start New Holiday Traditions
Hawai’i News Now: Green New Years Resolution
Honolulu Advertiser: Give the Gift of Green
Green Hawai’i Magazine
Time-lapse video of Card Making with Reused Materials at Leeward YMCA
“Green Friday” at Ala Moana Center