Family and Community Outreach
The ʻĀINA In Schools Family & Community Outreach component brings ʻĀINA In Schools messages home to families and the broader community through special events, workshops, newsletters and more. Students are able to share what they learn at school with their families and the entire school community becomes more engaged with the ‘ĀINA In Schools program.
Grade Level Focus: All grades and the entire school community
- Participating ʻĀINA Schools are encouraged to host ‘ĀINA Family Nights that bring the school community together for fun and tasty celebrations of local, healthy food. KHF staff collaborate with ‘ĀINA Teams to bring cooking demonstrations, ﬁlm screenings, and other engaging activities to family nights.
- ʻĀINA In Schools booth display toolkits are available for schools to use at special events such as Open House, Fun Fairs and other school events.
- Participating ʻĀINA Schools spread the word about their ‘ĀINA In Schools initiatives through several means, including school newsletters, websites, and more.
- Volunteers are vital to the success of the ʻĀINA In Schools program. In addition to the incredible service they provide as docents and garden helpers, our volunteers have become community advocates for farm to school initiatives and healthy local food systems.
- KHF also hosts a variety of farm to school workshops and other special events throughout the year, partnering with local chefs, farmers, and businesses in the community.