The ‘ĀINA In Schools Garden-Based Learning component reconnects students to the natural world through the joys of gardening. There are eight ‘ĀINA In Schools garden lessons each for grades K, 1, 4, and 5. Teachers and volunteers lead the garden lessons and oversee garden clubs.
Grade Level Focus: Lessons incorporate academic standards for grades K, 1, 4, and 5, but can be easily adapted for use in other grades. Garden clubs are open to students from all grade levels.Download Component Overview
KHF staff train volunteer docents to deliver a series of 8 garden lessons to grades K, 1, 4 & 5 at Participating ‘ĀINA Schools and provide all necessary funding for garden lesson supply kits.
Kindergarten Lessons focus on lifecycles and habitats in the Butterfly Garden and plant parts in The Tops & Bottoms Garden.
1st Grade Lessons include measuring fast growing plants in the Big Seeds, Little Plants Gardens and observing how companion plants and garden creatures work together in the Good Buddy Garden.
4th Grade Lessons take students back to their roots by growing traditional Hawaiian foods including kalo, ‘uala, 'ulu, kī, and native Hawaiian plants.
5th Grade Lessons have students conduct experiments in the Scientific Garden and practice Native American traditions in the Three Sisters Garden.
Schools are encouraged to offer weekly garden clubs where students from all grade levels tend the gardens at lunch, recess or after school. Families and community members contribute to preparing and maintaining the garden beds at garden parties, held three times a year at each school.
Getting Involved & Learning More
- Educators are welcome to attend the “Gardening With Kids” workshops presented by Kōkua Hawaiʻi Foundation and the O‘ahu Master Gardeners.
- KHF offers ‘ĀINA In Schools garden curricula trainings four times per year.
- Lessons and resources will be available for download on the Kōkua Hawai‘i Foundation website by registered users.
- Any Hawai‘i school may apply for a Kōkua Hawai‘i Foundation Mini-Grant to fund supplies for school gardens.
- To support ‘ĀINA In Schools, contact [email protected].
- Subscribe to KHF and ‘ĀINA In Schools e-newsletters for the lates tinformation.